The Newnan Cougars are EXTREMELY proud to call Drake Stadium home.
Newnan High School’s Drake stadium is named after Walter Homer Drake, Sr., who served as the Newnan City Schools Superintendent for 23 years, until his death in 1964. Drake’s successor was Newnan High School principal O.P. Evans, who served as Newnan City Schools Superintendent from 1964 until 1969. Drake and Evans – working with Coweta County School officials – set the groundwork for the merger of the two school systems in 1969.
During his tenure, Drake oversaw growth in Newnan City Schools’ faculty, educational programs, and facilities, including construction of the new Newnan High in 1952 as well as Central High School, Ruth Hill, Fairmount, Elm Street and Atkinson elementary schools. Drake’s family was present when the stadium was dedicated in his memory on September 2, 1966.